Here is my version, our home recipe of the dish. Hope you like it.
1 whole Pork hind leg (pata sa likod) include the upper meaty part.
1 pc. Star anise (sangke)
4 tbsp. Hoysin sauce (optional)
½ cup Dark Soy sauce
1 cup Brown sugar
2 cups Root beer (optional)
1 tsp Sesame oil
2 tsp Corn starch dissolved in ½ cup of water
1 pc Medium size Chinese cabbage
6 to 8 pcs Shitake medium mushrooms (optional) soaked on hot water
for 30 minutes then drained
1 pc. large carrot
1. Boil the pork pata for about 45 mins in salted water. Drain and let
2. Deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Let it cool
3. Place the fried pata in a casserole. Add about six (6) cups of water
and the two (2) cups of root beer.
4. Add the star anise, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar.
5. Place in high fire until it boils then reduce the fire to low and simmer
for about 45 minutes, or until the pata is very tender (almost falling
off the bone). Remember to add the carrots and shitake mushrooms
after 30 minutes of simmering.
6. Make sure to check the water level every 15 minutes. Ideally the
level of the sauce should be 1/4th of the casserole when done. Add
the cornstarch and water mixture. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
7. Add the Chinese cabbage and simmer until it is tender. Add the
8. In a serving dish, place the pata in the center. Place the vegetables
on the side.Pour enough sauce on the pata. Serve hot